A world-leading semiconductor firm is looking for an Engineering Manager, in what will be a Greenfield opportunity. A globally recognised organisation is giving a suitable candidate the chance to really put their unique stamp on things. They will be responsible for building and growing a mobile app development team from the ground up.
The team develops software for internet-connected devices and applications. The devices are predominantly flow products at present, and so the present focus is around cloud-based music services. This is a very active market segment with global companies announcing things on a seemingly weekly basis. However, further to this, they are also beginning to license the technology developed here into a number of completely new markets – the only link being that the device connects to a management/content web service developed and hosted by them for third parties. Application development is wide-ranging, including mobile, desktop and web applications.
A suitable candidate will be involved with a wide range of cutting-edge technologies, in highly competitive markets. It will be your job to ensure that mobile apps are successfully delivered within challenging timescales.
This is a new position, which requires the successful candidate to grow and develop a Mobile Apps Team from scratch.
Your role will be divided between team leadership and hands-on development.
Primary role responsibilities will include:
- Hire and develop a Mobile Apps Team.
- Lead and manage the Mobile Apps Team, with regard to technical and line management.
- Lead developer for Android and iOS apps, plus other future standards.
- Ensuring that the apps team is utilised to maximum effect, including day to day management of engineers, setting objectives, measuring performance and resolving issues.
- Managing resource allocation, chasing deliverables, ensuring that objectives are met and reporting progress.
- Maintaining excellent flow of communication with UK team.
- Excellent development skills in iOS Objective-C/Cocoa Touch and Android Java/Application Framework.
- Good knowledge of C programming / C++ programming.
- Excellent communication, planning and organisational skills are all essential
- Able to make clear, reasoned decisions and prioritise tasks
- Knowledge of as many of the following as possible:
- Android native app development (NDK)
- Familiarity with building Open Source applications – automake, autoconf etc
- JNI, SWING
- Webservices – REST, XML, JSON etc
- Web application development on LAMP (Linux, Apache MySQL, PHP) stack
- GCC, embedded Linux
- Multi-threaded, real-time systems
- TCP/IP and sockets
- Windows, Linux or Mac desktop applications
- Streaming audio protocols
- Network discovery protocols – UPnP, Bonjour etc
- Cross-platform mobile development frameworks
- UML or Yourdon design methods
- Experience with Agile software development practices
- Highly self-motivated and an ability to get things done
- Natural tendency to assume leadership
- Strong interest in digital audio/ multimedia, web technologies and electronic gadgets
- Stays calm under pressure