The development group is involved in both the delivery of high quality, high function middleware solutions and evolving the development techniques and methodologies used. The group works closely together and interfaces with many other development areas and sites. The need for highly developed communication skills is essential.
Main duties and responsibilities of the role
- Work within a team of highly motivated developers using knowledge of both software and hardware devices.
- Liaise with other development groups, Project Managers and Systems Architects as appropriate.
- Design of software to meet customer and internal requirements, defining interfaces to other software components.
- Software Component Integration, writing and debugging code.
- Contribute to automated test environments, continuous integration tools and maintenance of software quality metrics.
- Take responsibility for ensuring that the Software Code of Practice and the Software Development Process are followed.
- Take responsibility for the everyday processing and maintenance of software defect reports.
- Take responsibility for delivery of software features to the committed schedule.
- Track individual defect fixes or new developments against the schedule and provide status reports to the team leader.
- Identify technical changes necessary to achieve a specific customer requirement.
- Take responsibility for the quality of your own code.
- Escalate, where necessary, project and technical conflicts.
- Take an active role in personal technical and professional development.
Skills and experience
- Excellent knowledge of applying C in a multitasking embedded environment. Plus evidence of practical achievements in the application of one or more of the following skill sets:
- Use of simulators, compilers and debuggers.
- Linux development and POSIX standards.
- Real Time Operating Systems.
- CM systems especially Clear Case.
- Design methodologies including CASE tools (UML) and Agile techniques.
- Defect database tracking and maintenance.
- Professional coding practises and standards, particularly MISRA.
- Software architecture and design.
- Java, XML and web scripting.
- STB and broadcast headend systems.
- DVB, XSI, DSS Digital TV standards.
- Educated to BSc or MSc level in Computer Science or a related discipline.
- Embedded C or C++