About the role
You will provide advice and assistance around the whole restructuring process in cooperation with your restructuring colleagues and other specialists.
Corporates could become stressed or distressed for many reasons. If a corporate turnaround plan has not been prepared, management will be required to promptly build an executable plan to preserve financial stakeholder support. Often management has insufficient experience and resources and therefore requires assistance. This plan typically includes strategic portfolio choices, rapid cost reduction and working capital improvements.
Management can focus on implementing this plan once, via a financial restructuring process the capital structure has been aligned and the turnaround plan is fully funded. Such implementation is often required to be executed under tight timelines and close monitoring from the financial stakeholders.
In these situations, you and your team work alongside management whilst driving change and increasing value. This typically involves working through complex stakeholder positions, during which you help rebuild credibility and reassure stakeholders that the company is taking the right steps to face its problems head-on efficiently and effectively.
You will work with clients to identify and implement sustainable improvements and for this, you will recognise many of the skills as your own set out below:
Consulting and leadership skills
- Demonstrable relevant advisory experience from management consulting or strategy consulting advisory firm, a restructuring firm, a Big 4 firm or as an ‘internal consultant’ in a corporate
- Demonstrable industry network (ability to maintain/develop your own client relationships) and experience in strategy consulting selling
- Evidence of contribution / development of thought leadership
- Analytical and project management skills including the ability to run operational restructuring projects
- Demonstrable experience of leading and developing successful teams
- Content driven, focus on processes (Order to Cash, Procure to Pay, etc)
- Ability to identify operational quick wins (rapid cost reduction) to improve earnings and build stakeholder confidence
- Take on a “hands-on” role to manage stakeholders and inspire/realise change
- Provide robust management and monitoring of change/restructuring programmes
- Substantial industry experience derived from hands-on delivery of turnaround plans with focus on cash generation is preferred
- Prepare presentations and/or reports to key stakeholders (e.g. Board, Private Equity investor, lenders, etc.)
- Be responsible for the day to day leadership of projects with minimal oversight from a Partner
Financial and commercial skills
- Strong financial analytical skills with focus on cash preservation and generation
- Help clients realise cash quickly from their operations through working capital management
- Experience in working with management to develop and implement turnaround operational improvement plans
- Preferably an understanding of financing structures and distressed M&A processes
Stakeholder management skills
- Close/trusted relationships with the key financiers (banks, funds, PE)
- Experience in dealing with other financial stakeholders such as credit insurers, work councils, pensions funds and trade debtors/creditors
- Intimate understanding of the behavioral drivers behind each stakeholder type and comfortable with challenging and often aggressive stakeholder situations